Re: The default $fpath

On Sat, 06 Sep 2014 21:10:14 +0200
Frank Terbeck <ft@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Peter Stephenson wrote:
> > It is a bit frustrating that there's nowhere you can put a function and
> > guarantee that a user will find it without altering the path.  Granted
> > you *can* put it somewhere else where it'll be found, that doesn't mean
> > you should be forced to, if there are no gotchas to do with having a
> > standard location.
>
> Do you mean making the default ‘--enable-site-fndir’ independent of
> installation prefix to “/usr/local/share/zsh/site-functions”?

I think that would eliminate any existing site-functions,
e.g. /usr/share/zsh/site-functions when the prefix is /usr, from the
path.  That's probably a bad idea as (i) it changes the behaviour of an
updated installation in the same location (ii) some automated site
installation script might be using it.

I think it needs to be additional.  What I'm less clear about is where
it would go in the path.

If we made the change, we might, however, want to document that from now on
/usr/local/share/zsh/site-functions is recommended if the functions are
to be available to all instances of zsh.

pws