Zsh Mailing List Archive
Messages sorted by:
Effectiveness of --disable-dynamic-nss?
- X-seq: zsh-workers 33605
- From: Mikael Magnusson <mikachu@xxxxxxxxx>
- To: zsh workers <zsh-workers@xxxxxxx>
- Subject: Effectiveness of --disable-dynamic-nss?
- Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2014 15:11:59 +0100
- Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=20120113; h=mime-version:date:message-id:subject:from:to:content-type; bh=bsPWwsZn9amT9imeJHEN6yIGfT3iVhjaWP5fzAMmmZ0=; b=YuaD4Ag/q/d/2pXBIdLAzlUBMlSG2RNNDyFbmFD3Uih6lgmmOHtNex3IG8NaD83eIG Tyu+XGkjdLa/aPpnSUX9segEXG05Was+G/VH/tsMe1+kvk9a/U4Q9cJakZrSIEQIdHSa OYmIfBUqOTcTCrec0s/2fhVeAyS3dt+F8zmwkMsVM+Al6JOrIH9xG89WjM6xZA3CLKjj UOv39clWUFMNGdi848XVXIrf3ymkfVx9fiyyv+LjEmiYRFvpuD9Nrx4dndv+l7Zd7ddV 9GK7brvpSJBXL4QttZ+jOBlPn5oYJ00NfPFB7nxtkQvh3HakuO99bvHPx6CYNNqltUno g1HQ==
- List-help: <mailto:email@example.com>
- List-id: Zsh Workers List <zsh-workers.zsh.org>
- List-post: <mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Mailing-list: contact zsh-workers-help@xxxxxxx; run by ezmlm
Someone was mentioning on the #zsh channel that $USERNAME was empty
when they compiled statically and I vaguely remembered glibc doesn't
support name lookup statically, which led me to look at
--disable-dynamic-nss. I noticed it seems to define USE_* stuff when
the switch is not given for some HAVE_* stuff that pertains to name
lookup. However, even in the commit where it was introduced, it
skipped many HAVE_GETPWNAM (for example), and converted others, some
even within the diff context of other defines that were changed. So my
two questions are:
Is there a reason they were left alone or does the switch not work?
If they're all meant to be disabled, why not just have it #undef the
HAVE_* defines instead of defining new things and changing every user,
and hope nobody ever introduces new HAVE_* #ifdefs?
And tangentially, is $USERNAME supposed to return anything when
compiled with this switch given? The function that handles this
parameter was switched to USE_INITGROUPS but still uses HAVE_GETPWNAM,
which is confusing to me.
Messages sorted by: