Re: A05execution.ztst fails on Cygwin

On Sat, 3 Jan 2015 21:59:20 +0200
İsmail Dönmez <ismail@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > It looks like you can turn off hask marks when output is verbose.  Does
> >
> > ZTST_verbose=1 make TESTNUM=A05
> >
> > work any better?
> >

> This fixes the test for me.

Hmm, that doesn't really make sense.

I've installed Cygwin on this new laptop (which has finally deigned to
run Fedora as the default UEFI boot option, don't ask me how I got that
to spring into life...) and confirmed your problems, and also that

zsh -c 'sleep 1000 & print $!; kill $!'

prints the correct PID but doesn't kill the process.  Killing it
from the command line of the same version of the shell, or even
with a subsequent zsh -c, does work, so something very strange
is happening.  Next step is probably to try delays, though
I did try repetition and that didn't help.  However, I've used up
my Windows quota for the week as sanity wears desperately thin on
such occasions.

   |   ! Windows is cross with you.  You have attempted to           |
   |     make the system do what you want, which is not allowed      |
   |    -------------------------   -----------------------------    |
   |    | I understand and will |   | Randomly crash the system |    |
   |    | try harder in future  |   | and change settings       |    |
   |    -------------------------   -----------------------------    |

This was with the standard install options for 64-bit Cygwin.

> > > While running make check I noticed that V08zpty.ztst was hanging. Turns
> > out
> > > that second part of the test is hanging. The minimal reproducer is:
>
> It might makes sense to fail this test on Cygwin then, so I could run make
> check semi-regularly and make sure no regressions would be introduced.

I've confirmed this, too, and also that as a consequence the completion
tests don't work, either.  We could certainly skip the tests if no one
is going to appear, which I suspect is highly likely.

pws