Re: zsh-workers/37266 has a malicious attachment

01.12.2015, 21:12, "Bart Schaefer" <schaefer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> On Dec 1, 12:24pm, Peter Stephenson wrote:
> }
> } ...probably obvious enough to everyone here, but as it got flagged up by
> } our email system I thought it was worth reporting more widely.
> } Subject line is "Your e-ticket #0000228935".
>
> The number of spam/malicious messages making it to the list has been
> slowly creeping up the last several months. We may have to consider
> closing zsh-workers to non-subscribers.
>
> Curiously zsh-users doesn't seem to have the same problem (yet), so if
> we can close -workers while still allowing the cross-posting, we won't
> lose much.
>
> Or maybe non-member posts could require approval, as with -announce.

vim* lists uses google groups and moderation for new members and I almost never see spam there. Most likely though this is the result of the following combination:

1. Google anti-spam algorythms.
2. Requirement to have Google account to become a member (not necessary Google mail though).
3. Denied non-member posting.
4. Presence of pre-moderation for all members that write posts for the first time.

Fourth should be the most effective. I mean, has the least number of false negatives and positives (“positive” is “spam” marker), though only as long as you do not consider denying non-member posts as adding false positives.