Re: zsh-workers/37266 has a malicious attachment

Hi,

On Tue, Dec 01, 2015 at 11:33:19PM +0300, ZyX wrote:
> 01.12.2015, 21:12, "Bart Schaefer" <schaefer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> > On Dec 1, 12:24pm, Peter Stephenson wrote:
> > } ...probably obvious enough to everyone here, but as it got flagged up by
> > } our email system I thought it was worth reporting more widely.

Well, it got flagged as spam here, too. So IMHO the chances are rather
high that other's spam filters caught it, too. I actually don't care
about Spam on mailing lists. It's spam after all and gets filtered
here locally as direct spam, too.

> > The number of spam/malicious messages making it to the list has been
> > slowly creeping up the last several months. We may have to consider
> > closing zsh-workers to non-subscribers.

That would hinder bug reports a lot.

> > Or maybe non-member posts could require approval, as with
> > -announce.

That's much better.

> vim* lists uses google groups and moderation for new members and I
> almost never see spam there.

Nevertheless using Google Groups as a mailing list has tons of other
issues. IMHO it's by far not worth to drop a proper and working ML for
crappy Google Groups. And you don't know how long they will exist.
Just think about Google Wave, Google Reader and all the other nice
services they already closed down.

Besides the nice X-Seq feature is surely not available on Google
Groups.

> 4. Presence of pre-moderation for all members that write posts for
> the first time.

That's also a viable solution IMHO.

		Kind regards, Axel
\ /  Say No to HTML in E-Mail and News            | abe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx  (Mail)