Re: Official plugin manager?

On Thu, 2 Jan 2020 at 12:37, Sebastian Gniazdowski
<sgniazdowski@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Thu, 2 Jan 2020 at 12:04, Daniel Shahaf <d.s@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > http://xyproblem.info/
> >
> > "Write an official plugin manager" is a solution.  You have identified
> > several problems in your mail, so let's talk about those problems and
> > consider all possible solutions to them (not only the one that you
> > hardcoded into the subject line of this thread).
>
> Okay. I think that the one interesting point was the 3rd one. I think
> that it harms Zshell's picture out there by making the following
> thinking common: that you cannot use Zsh without loading a bloated
> framework like Oh My Zsh.

I've decided to slightly elaborate on this without jumping to the Y,
i.e.: to the bundled p-m.

I think that OMZ has a guilt of spreading of such thinking (that you
cannot use Zsh without a framework that's bloated – actually but also
by the impression that is given by what's advertised: "(framework)
with nearly 1,500 contributors", "includes 200+ optional plugins",
etc.). It gives the impression that "if you load OMZ, then all Zsh
complex configuration will be done for you" (by the code from the
*1500* contributors...), which implies that the configuration is so
complex that you cannot get a better outcome on your own, especially
if you're a new user. This basically means that Zsh has to be put down
under the layer of OMZ and best if untouched directly, but instead
relying on "an auto-update tool so that makes it easy to keep up with
the latest updates from the community". Hence the thinking-pattern
problem.

To address this public-image pressure from OMZ:
- something has to be added to Zsh,
- a simple uncover of it: it should allow easier configuration,
- configuration often means: loading a theme and the needed
functionality providers (i.e.: plugins),

thus this converges to the bundled p-m solution.

--
Sebastian Gniazdowski
News: https://twitter.com/ZdharmaI