Zsh Mailing List Archive
Messages sorted by:
Re: best way to disable PRIVILEGED?
- X-seq: zsh-workers 46161
- From: Jens Staal <staal1978@xxxxxxxxx>
- To: Daniel Shahaf <d.s@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
- Subject: Re: best way to disable PRIVILEGED?
- Date: Sun, 28 Jun 2020 18:26:40 +0200
- Cc: zsh-workers@xxxxxxx
- In-reply-to: <email@example.com>
- List-help: <mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org>
- List-id: Zsh Workers List <zsh-workers.zsh.org>
- List-post: <mailto:email@example.com>
- List-unsubscribe: <mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Mailing-list: contact zsh-workers-help@xxxxxxx; run by ezmlm
- References: <20200628121011.22lv3n75sj2j5qhc@Hugin> <email@example.com>
- Sender: zsh-workers@xxxxxxx
On Sun, Jun 28, 2020 at 02:31:27PM +0000, Daniel Shahaf wrote:
> Jens Staal wrote on Sun, 28 Jun 2020 14:10 +0200:
> > the zsh executes but with the error: "zsh: error on TTY read: permission denied"
> > One of the hacks I did was to redefine seteuid to setuid. I am not sure if that
> > would be the reason for the error
> Set a breakpoint on seteuid and check whether it gets hit. If it does,
> we can take it from there.
Thanks! If you believe that it is unlikely that this is the issue (as you
mention below) I should probably first consider the other hacks done.
Surprisingly few actually, but the major one might be the terminfo stubs from
> > A logical first thing to try however is to follow the instructions in
> > zsh_system.h and remove the seteuid hack and disable PRIVILEGED.
> I don't see any scenario in which the PRIVILEGED option causes the
> error, notwithstanding your hack. (The only things special about
> PRIVILEGED are that it's initialized to true in some cases and that
> unsetting it changes the real, saved, and effective UIDs. Your hack
> won't break these.
> In fact, I'm having trouble seeing what it _could_ break that zsh
> does. The best I've come up with is launching zsh with different real
> and effective UIDs and then running «EUID=$EUID; UID=$UID». Pretty
> sure you aren't doing that.)
I am at least not doing it on purpose :) There are many things about Plan9 that
I do not know...
I think I just went for the PRIVILEGED thing since "permission denied" sounded
like something that would have to do with that.
Messages sorted by: