Re: region_highlight converts `fg=default` to `none`, which is not the same

Marlon Richert wrote on Thu, 22 Oct 2020 22:58 +0300:
> While we're on the topic of `region_highlight`, here's another problem I've
> noticed with it: `standout` (3) is rendered as `reverse` (7), even though
> my terminal is perfectly capable of rendering italic. When I use `\e[3m` in
> `$PS1` or `$ZLS_COLORS`, it renders fine as italic. There's no reason to
> convert it.

You haven't explained why you think it's zle that does the conversion.
For starters, what's the output of `tput smso | xxd` and `tput rev |
xxd`?  Here they print the same value, even though \e[3m; does
italicize.  (Plain xterm on Debian.)

I'm reminded of
https://github.com/tmux/tmux/wiki/FAQ#i-dont-see-italics-or-italics-and-reverse-are-the-wrong-way-round
but it may or may not be related.