Re: region_highlight converts `fg=default` to `none`, which is not the same

On Fri, Oct 23, 2020 at 11:25 AM Marlon Richert
<marlon.richert@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Thanks for the link. Did that discussion ever result in a patch?

Nope. I've mentioned it earlier on *this* thread.

> It looks like you never got an answer to
> [your question](https://www.zsh.org/mla/workers/2019/msg01191.html):

Here's the follow up:
https://www.zsh.org/mla/workers/2020/msg00042.html. Apparently,
threading doesn't work across year boundaries.

> I feel like routing this through `ncurses` is not only unnecessary
> (since we have a standard for this); it's also problematic.

The only way to know whether the terminal supports some capability
(e.g., moving the cursor to the specified location on the screen, or
highlighting text with 256 colors) and to use the said capability is
through terminfo. There is no way around it.

It also doesn't seem like ncurses causes any problems that are related
to this thread. It's possible to support italized text output in zsh
without ditching ncurses. Please see the discussion I've linked above.

Roman.