Zsh Mailing List Archive
Messages sorted by:
Re: Rewrite of zsh-newuser-install
- X-seq: zsh-workers 48235
- From: gi1242+zsh@xxxxxxxxx
- To: Marlon Richert <marlon.richert@xxxxxxxxx>
- Cc: Zsh hackers list <zsh-workers@xxxxxxx>
- Subject: Re: Rewrite of zsh-newuser-install
- Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2021 09:45:39 -0400
- Archived-at: <https://zsh.org/workers/48235>
- Archived-at: <http://www.zsh.org/sympa/arcsearch_id/zsh-workers/2021-03/20210324134539.GF12170%40andrew.cmu.edu>
- In-reply-to: <CAHLkEDt+=qEL-jMqYxKBXBZuPEi_=dm-Ms-6oZY=b-RyjXJ2rw@mail.gmail.com>
- List-id: <zsh-workers.zsh.org>
- Mail-followup-to: gi1242+zsh@xxxxxxxxx, Marlon Richert <marlon.richert@xxxxxxxxx>, Zsh hackers list <zsh-workers@xxxxxxx>
- References: <B865F477-D72B-426F-9691-268C2E65EC85@dana.is> <EAEB39F8-6DEF-4BC0-A7E4-A59B16DBDF2F@gmail.com> <D2248BF1-5045-4F68-89F0-F92C903EF73D@dana.is> <20210225080519.GA22300@tarpaulin.shahaf.local2> <CAHLkEDtR6LCZy_2Ks-KATn9T3xyMmNh=ifxiHF4+KhO5uT-Cxw@mail.gmail.com> <20210227132121.GA9308@tarpaulin.shahaf.local2> <CAHLkEDt+=qEL-jMqYxKBXBZuPEi_=dm-Ms-6oZY=b-RyjXJ2rw@mail.gmail.com>
Few suggestions from a lurker (feel free to ignore).
1. In zrestart: exec zsh -l instead of zsh -l && exit
2. HISTFILE location: XDG conventions suggest putting things in
3. Same with completion cache, recent dirs file, etc.
Also, what I'd like to see in a default zshrc is something that's not
going to set personal preference options by default (clobber/globstar),
but give the user many commented options that they can change quickly
without having to read 300 man pages.
As a result I would only put in things that give the user "least
surprise", and is still functional. So I would leave in history saving,
colors, prompt, highlighting, completion and maybe even a few **really
really** standard keybindings defined. (I also think Ctrl Y is more
standard than alt ctrl z for redo btw). However I would comment out
everything else (autocd, pushd, globstar, and especially clobber).
I would also put some commented out bindings to set vi mode. (That's all
I use myself.)
This should let most users just use it out of the box and get colorful
prompts / nice completion; and if they want their favorite options they
can just edit the files and find the more common options there...
Two banks with different rates have a conflict of interest.
Messages sorted by: