Re: Rewrite of zsh-newuser-install

On Thu, Mar 25, 2021 at 3:15 AM Daniel Shahaf <d.s@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> For Debian, the maintainers are listed at
> <https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/zsh>.  There's a mailing list, so you
> can just email that.  In general, Debian tends to like things being
> organized around bug reports, but filing a bug without reportbug(1)
> isn't the most user-friendly workflow in the world, so I'll gloss over
> it for now.
>
> Other distros generally have browsable package indexes that list the
> current version and maintainer of each package.  There's also
> https://repology.org/project/zsh/versions which lists information from
> multiple distros.

On March 25th, I sent out an RFC by email to the Zsh package
maintainers of all Linux distros that I could find that include a
custom .zshrc file for new users:
* Debian
* Adélie
* ALT Linux
* openSUSE
* Fedora

I got replies so far from openSUSE and Fedora, and made some minor
changes based on their feedback:
https://gitlab.com/marlonrichert/zsh-sensible/-/commit/b111f20b14891af4a385b3867fe690dc8281fe8f

The only feedback that I didn't act on was the observation that the
use of $RPS1 could feel confusing to users coming from Bash. I'm not
sure I want to do anything about that; I think that not using $RPS1
would actually make the current prompt worse. Otherwise, their
feedback was all positive.

I haven't heard anything from Debian's, Adélie's and ALT Linux's Zsh
package maintainers yet.

Should I ping them again or just wait a bit longer?