Re: [BUG] zsh/param/private scoping error

On 9/1/21, Bart Schaefer <schaefer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 1, 2021 at 4:51 AM Marlon Richert <marlon.richert@xxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>>
>> % () { private tst; () { tst= } }
>> (anon):1: tst: attempt to assign private in nested scope
>> %
>>
>> This is not how one would expect private variables to behave.
>
> But it's how variable scoping behaves in the shell language.  If I do
>
> % () { local tst; () { tst=foo } }
>
> Then it is the tst in the surrounding scope that gets altered, not the
> global one.  If the inner function is INTENDED to create a global, it
> should be using "typeset -g" explicitly.

This seems weird to me, since private is stated to be "used to create
parameters whose scope is limited to the current function body, and
not to other functions called  by  the current function." If the
private parameter is not in scope, then any called functions should
behave as if it is not in scope, ie automatically create a parameter
scoped to whatever level is above the one that has the private.
(technically speaking, this is probably hard). If private parameters
are only compatible with code that runs without warnings under setopt
WARN_CREATE_GLOBAL, then we should document this.

--
Mikael Magnusson