Re: Patch 1/3: Fix prefix insertion logic

On Fri, May 5, 2023 at 8:04 AM Mikael Magnusson <mikachu@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 5/5/23, Marlon Richert <marlon.richert@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > However even though I used the same message ID, the new mails did not
> > end up in the same thread.
>
> If you're looking in the gmail web interface, the reason is that gmail
> doesn't support threads (it ignores all thread information and only
> groups mails with the same subject line).

The one exception to this is that gmail will treat messages with
identical message-id as duplicates and only show one of them.  That's
why e.g. if you send a message to the list using gmail it'll appear
only in your Sent label and seem not to have come back to you via the
list.

I'm not sure what would happen if it were presented with identical
message-id and radically different message bodies, but in my
experience small differences in the body do not affect this.

Looks like something (git send-email maybe?) appended -1 / -2 / -3 to
the message-id in each of these patches, which are otherwise the same.