Re: Re: idea for new feature (was: Re: sticky-note and zle bindings)

On Sat, 7 Jun 2008, Robert Knight wrote:

Hi folks,

I'd like to implement my part of this quite soon.  So here is a more
concrete proposal:

I couldn't find the original thread (more than two months ago?), so I'm not sure what I'm suggesting below covers everything.

[...]

Digging back through my mail from users, something which would earn much love from sysadmins would be if they could save the state of their terminal, with 10-20 connections to various machines via SSH and later restore that again instantly - including as much state as possible on the remote end.

Have you tried 'screen'? I think it's a GNU project now (or maybe always was). It does basically what you're looking for. I use screen on most boxes I SSH to. And I run it on my own machine for long-running processes that I might want to come back to.

One of my startup files is even .zsh_screen:
[ "$TERM" = "screen" ] && other=Other || other=Running
S=$(screen -ls | perl -lnwe 'BEGIN{$sty=$ENV{STY}||"ZZZ";} print if /^\s/ and /\S/ and !/\b\Q$sty\E\b/')
[ -n "$S" ] && printf '%s screens:\n%s\n' $other $S

(basically munges the output of screen -ls to cut some lines and not show the current session)

On a machine where I have troubles (from some locations) with timeouts via SSH, I have it automatically start a screen session, and it tries to reattach if there's one that's doen.

On another, I have the command-line mercurial daemon and two command-line trac daemons running in screen sessions. If I SSH in and reattach, it's as if I never left.

Best,
Ben