Re: build from source

Ray Andrews wrote:

> The 'C02' test reports the same error.  I'm tempted to fiddle with a copy of
> the test and see just what's going on there.  I doubt anything is really
> broken, as you say.

It is fairly easy to replicate. Use stat to examine the timestamps. The
test is reliant on the underlying filesystem. I know to avoid builds in
my home directory which is typically NFS and prefer a local scratch
filesystem which will also be faster. Use df -T . to see the type of
filesystem for the current directory.

> /bin/sh: 4: makeinfo: not found
> make[1]: *** [Makefile:498: install.info] Error 1
> make[1]: Leaving directory '/aWorking/Zsh/zsh-5.9/Doc'
> make: *** [Makefile:255: install.info] Error 2
>
> Debian has no such thing as 'makeinfo' but it does have 'install-info' and file
> 'INSTALL' does say:

  apt install texinfo

Debian's website has a very useful feature for searching by file
contents.

https://packages.debian.org/cgi-bin/search_contents.pl?word=makeinfo&searchmode=searchfiles&case=insensitive&version=unstable&arch=i386

Or you can install and setup command-not-found

For building zsh (or anything) from source, getting all the dependencies
installed tends to be easier than digging into Makefiles to skip
non-essentials.

It'd be really good to get more testing of the current git head. There
have been quite a few changes and it'd be good to find any regressions
before a release.

Oliver