Re: triviality regarding $# counts

On 2024-04-13 10:27, Mark J. Reed wrote:
Small followup I meant to type but didn't:

On Sat, Apr 13, 2024 at 1:19 PM Mark J. Reed <markjreed@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

redline '\nddd=( "${(@f)aaa}" ) ... it seems like a lot of trouble to copy the array as it is.'

That comment confuses me; you aren't copying the array as it is at all! You've gone from aaa, which has one element, to ddd having 8 elements. That's a far cry from "copying as it is".
Ah, but Mark, I figured all that out by the bottom of the post.  At that point I was still laboring under 'visual thinking' .  I dare say I'm straightened out.  I had thought that 'split on newlines' meant 'add \n's where needed to demarcate element boundaries'.  It's actually sorta the opposite -- there is no demarcation character and \n's will in fact be removed.  But I'm still not happy with the dollars.  I had thought that "  $'...'  "  was grammatical but we have " ' ' "  -- meaning an empty line -- without the leading dollar, so the closest thing I could pattern was that they replaced the newlines.   If anyone on the planet can get it wrong, it's me.