Re: PATCH: completion of dates

On Fri, Jul 10, 2015 at 11:11 AM, Oliver Kiddle <okiddle@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Mikael Magnusson wrote:
>> I don't really like this change. I usually forget the order for m3M+
>> glob qualifiers, so it's handy to just press tab to see when which is
>> valid, but now it starts autofilling stuff instead, and scrolling off
>> everything else on my terminal. It also doesn't seem to insert
>> anything actually sensible... but even if the bugs are fixed I would
>> prefer to turn the whole thing off. :)
>
> It can be turned off with:
>   zstyle ':completion:*:dates' max-matches-length 0
> If the function stays, I can add some documentation for that.
>
> The line of _dates which causes the autofilling is:
>   compstate[insert]=menu:$(( compstate[nmatches] + $#disp ))
>
> Other places where we set compstate[insert] in a similar manner include
> _pids and _mpc where we have insert-ids and insert-song-numbers styles
> to control this. I could do something similar here. Any thoughts
> on a style name: I think it is better to reuse generic names (i.e.
> insert-ids) rather than name it insert-dates? Would you be happy with
> that as a way forward? I wish it was possible to simply colour the
> current date but a pattern to do that would match, e.g. the 10th of
> every month.
>
> Could you elaborate on "the bugs"? Issues could be reliant on your
> timezone/setup/terminal and so not obvious to me. The issue mentioned by
> Bart is a general menu selection thing.
>
> Oliver

Before the patch, I get output like this:
% *(m<tab>
---- time specifier
M  -- months
d  -- days
h  -- hours
m  -- minutes
s  -- seconds
w  -- weeks
---- sense
+  -- more than
-  -- less than
---- digit (days)

With the patch and the max-matches-length 0 style set, I get this:
% *(m<tab>
---- time specifier
seconds  hours    weeks    seconds  hours    weeks    seconds  hours
 weeks
minutes  days     Months   minutes  days     Months   minutes  days
 Months
---- sense
before    exactly   since     before    exactly   since     before
exactly   since
---- ---- digit (days)

Pressing tab further times cycles through smhdwM three times before
moving on to +-+-+-. The output is not super helpful either since it
doesn't tell me what the syntax is without selecting the entry itself
to see what gets inserted. I suppose it does fit my stated goal of
seeing which order I should write the stuff in though.

I think the other "bug" I was thinking of was just me not knowing what
format find expects arguments to -mtime to be in.

--
Mikael Magnusson