Re: HIST_IGNORE_DUPS also ignores command lines that differ by a space between quotes

On 2024-03-21 18:41:08 +0900, Jun T wrote:
> BUT:
> Do we really need the option HIST_REDUCE_BLANKS? I mean, how about
> making zsh behave always as if HIST_REDUCE_BLANKS is ON?
> Are there any user who want to keep unnecessary spaces in history?

One possibility is that they might have "formatted" long commands,
e.g. using the backslash to write it on several lines, e.g.

  echo "some string" \
    "another string"

With HIST_REDUCE_BLANKS, this is simplified to

  echo "some string" "another string"

> Or calling histreduceblanks() may slow down the interactive zsh?

I doubt very much about it. With HIST_REDUCE_BLANKS, history handling
always seems immediate for me.

--
Vincent Lefèvre <vincent@xxxxxxxxxx> - Web: <https://www.vinc17.net/>