Re: Better Help Docs Searching?

On Tue, Aug 3, 2021 at 2:40 AM Zach Riggle <zachriggle@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I also took "If you don't have Yodl" to mean "not having Yodl
> installed / a yodl binary in $PATH".  I don't see anything that I can
> "brew install" that handles this, and having checked out the source
> code for yodl (https://gitlab.com/fbb-git/yodl.git).  Building YODL
> itself requires "icmake" which is unavailable, and not installable via
> "brew" (Homebrew).

Yodl is available from MacPorts.

> Typing in "read" the index prompt, takes me to the first incidence of
> the word "read" (which is under the ". FILE" section), which isn't
> much better than the man-pages or web-browser search.

The version of "info" that comes stock with MacOS 10.15 is very old
(4.8).  The commands we've been recommending that you use expect a
more recent version, e.g., on Ubuntu it's 6.7.  In older versions of
"info" the index entries only jump to the appropriate top-level
section and then search for the key string, which means they can end
up in the wrong place if the keyword appears more than once in a given
section.