Re: coloring substitution seems to eat next line.

On 2022-11-10 15:27, Bart Schaefer wrote:
On Thu, Nov 10, 2022 at 3:07 PM Ray Andrews <rayandrews@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Yabut MBEGIN and MEND are showing values that are never explicitly set,
they are showing some internal workings surely?
They are set by the (#m) operator in ${cc//(#m).../...} ... try
looking those names up in the manual page, hmm?
If I ever cross paths with them again, then yeah.  Worth noting tho is that one might actually search for 'MBEGIN' on the internet or even as a raw text search in the manual and find something.  As I'm always whining, with most of zsh syntax issues that's impossible you have to already know the 'name of the family' of the sort of syntactical element that you are looking for.  Is it a glob expansion or a parameter flag or a pattern match or ... what?  You guys won't sympathize.  Mind, this problem is sorta unavoidable since the syntax is so terse.    What I wouldn't give for a glossary or a sort of overview of zsh syntactical elements  '(#i)' -- so I've learned -- is a regex not a glob not a pattern match not any other sort of animal.  Knowing that it's a regex, I know where to look for information. but '/**/' is a glob and '(N)' is a glob qualifier. Can't learn it from the inside out, only from the outside in.  But my little immediate problems are always from the inside out.  Slowly but surely tho.