Re: .zsh_history

On Sat, Apr 8, 2023 at 12:54 PM Ray Andrews <rayandrews@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 2023-04-08 10:27, Roman Perepelitsa wrote:
> >
> > Perry's options (which I've quoted in my original reply) require him
> > to exit zsh before history is written.
>
> I do remember that one's control of history is essentially perfect, you
> can get just about anything you want.  History is one of those features
> of zsh that is tractable and understandable without too much head
> scratching and without any weird gotchas.

I couldn't disagree more.

Even zsh experts don't understand what HISTSIZE and SAVEHIST are for.
Nevermind their interactions with APPEND_HISTORY. Maybe the other
options are more understandable, but certainly not the basic ones.

Or you tell me, do you think everyone understands what this does?

  HISTSIZE=100
  SAVEHIST=200

--
Felipe Contreras