Changing .org domain registrar vs keeping current NS records (was: Re: zsh.org should redirect to www.zsh.org)

Hi,

On Sat, Mar 15, 2014 at 09:08:29PM +0000, Zefram wrote:
> Phil Pennock wrote:
> >If we switch away from Andrew managing this, we probably lose
> >ns.fysh.org as a DNS host too.
>
> No, that's a distinct matter.  Changing the admin contact is no reason
> to change the NS arrangements, and the reasons for changing the former
> apply much more weakly to the latter.

But changing the registrar may indeed pull in a change of NS records,
because there's a questionable rule for .org domains that if the NS
records end in .org, too, their second-level domains needs to be
registered at the same registrar as the domain they're responsible
for,

I own two .org domains and they're registered at different registrars
as I wanted to avoid a single point of failure in my private
infrastructure (burned child, etc.).

I coped with that rule by adding additional DNS A records for my name
servers with a non-.org domain (a .ch domain in my case) and everthing
was fine again. PTR records seem to be irrelevant for the above
mentioned rule.

		Kind regards, Axel
\ /  Say No to HTML in E-Mail and News            | abe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx  (Mail)
 X   See http://www.nonhtmlmail.org/campaign.html | abe@xxxxxxxxx (Mail+Jabber)