Zsh Mailing List Archive
Messages sorted by:
Re: reverse-menu-complete re-starting completion on 5.2?
- X-seq: zsh-workers 38119
- From: Mikael Magnusson <mikachu@xxxxxxxxx>
- To: Bart Schaefer <schaefer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
- Subject: Re: reverse-menu-complete re-starting completion on 5.2?
- Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2016 12:41:03 +0100
- Cc: Zsh workers <zsh-workers@xxxxxxx>
- Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=20120113; h=mime-version:in-reply-to:references:date:message-id:subject:from:to :cc; bh=7irYd/68pSpM2m5DMjT8f46qfg3tprf11jzhOWRBxIg=; b=iHfbs1kpl2h5gqOMM6BtX2XqHY1c4uq64Xjim8jOe1Sx/zAxVnudvGsAYQf+DECS+M ODTHioxhV7G5teFJHWY4bj1IxBiLW/RX+K3crXlZv+GuI/lcXb7iaoA/Pu0qTtHfq9Hs wkh0nECQODGu7mj88Uo/XmaeQG68gizoH0N+SILKCXWGwsWw3+zyZtGXSRumPIYtdf1/ dIumlYDgKrQwPwL4l3JwH5Yogh0wbLbo+f30tZfAlaZssoe6VEhR5OI5+JEclU/XAijL fPrwuXL2fBLtoNLm18B5wPb1pMGuax2v27732T+eI3GPwFmSgIQEJDx2pXY3AWVXfegI hTCQ==
- In-reply-to: <CAHYJk3SbxtRxh6N0WtVfgSf0urCkYyqGG0foEHT72g93E-_hfQ@mail.gmail.com>
- List-help: <mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org>
- List-id: Zsh Workers List <zsh-workers.zsh.org>
- List-post: <mailto:email@example.com>
- Mailing-list: contact zsh-workers-help@xxxxxxx; run by ezmlm
- References: <20160226175937.GA22547@lorien.comfychair.org> <160226114511.ZM17604@torch.brasslantern.com> <firstname.lastname@example.org> <160306094154.ZM20831@torch.brasslantern.com> <CAHYJk3R-gr5C2LTJeXKaW7oUfs49pdPKkj=y3-XCv2dMT7rbcA@mail.gmail.com> <CAHYJk3SbxtRxh6N0WtVfgSf0urCkYyqGG0foEHT72g93E-_hfQ@mail.gmail.com>
On Wed, Mar 9, 2016 at 12:12 PM, Mikael Magnusson <mikachu@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 7, 2016 at 3:05 AM, Mikael Magnusson <mikachu@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> On Sun, Mar 6, 2016 at 6:41 PM, Bart Schaefer <schaefer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>> Meant to respond to this a while ago ...
>>> On Feb 29, 1:45am, Oliver Kiddle wrote:
>>> } Even before that commit I can reproduce a variant of the problem by
>>> } starting menu completion with reverse-menu-complete and then switching
>>> } to a forwards menu complete.
>>> Not surprising, really.
>>> } [...] I'm really not sure why we need to be so
>>> } strict about the completion widget matching the last completion widget.
>>> The only reason I can think of is in case menu completion is invoked from
>>> within a user-defined widget, or otherwise entered by a different widget
>>> than simple forward/reverse menu completion. In that instance the user is
>>> presumably not continuing with the menu in progress but instead wants to
>>> start over. I.e. similar to tests of $LASTWIDGET in Functions/Zle/*.
>>> } anyone foresee any problem with just relaxing the condition (see patch).
>>> Maybe we'd need another flag action for "zle -f" to continue/interrupt a
>>> menu in progress, but probably it will work as expected more often with
>>> the patch than without. I suggest you push and we'll find out if a need
>>> for a flag arises.
>> I can tell you I quite often complete a directory name using normal
>> completion, and then press ctrl-n to complete files inside by latest
>> modification date. If this continued cycling directories instead, it
>> would be quite inconvenient. But yeah, push and we'll see what happens
>> to that.
> Well, this use-case did indeed break with this commit.
While I'm sure everyone would be happy to reimplement this keybind
based on my vague description, here is the relevant setup:
zstyle ':completion:most-recent-file:*' match-original both
zstyle ':completion:most-recent-file:*' file-sort modification
zstyle ':completion:most-recent-file:*' file-patterns '*:all\ files'
zstyle ':completion:most-recent-file:*' hidden all
zstyle ':completion:most-recent-file:*' completer _files
zle -C most-recent-file menu-complete _generic
bindkey "^N" most-recent-file
I would like ^N after TAB to start completion over (even if this was
originally a ^N completion), but TAB after ^N to continue the same
completion. This is how it worked before the commit. I'm fine with
replacing _generic with something else either custom in my rc or if we
distribute a new helper function.
Messages sorted by: