Re: Official plugin manager?

On 2 Jan 2020, at 18:25, Sebastian Gniazdowski <sgniazdowski@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I think that this hits a wall of having a choice. "Hey, I just want a
> *reasonable* p-m to get all the plugins, as that's what actually
> matters, isn't it? Why do I have to decide on the p-m, if I'm going to
> do this properly then I'll at least enter 'best zsh plugin manager' in
> Google, and this means work, work, lost time and large impatience
> intake. And then the slight discomfort of not diving into the topic
> enough deep and deciding on a p-m mostly by its cool name - hey, am I
> really using the p-m that I should?"

Is the problem you're trying to solve 'people don't know which plug-in manager
to use' or 'people don't know how to configure zsh so they just install OMZ'?
The one you're describing here is the former. Once they *have* a plug-in
manager, they can install whatever they want, and they seem to want OMZ. (It's
even the first example in the Antigen documentation...)

On 2 Jan 2020, at 18:25, Sebastian Gniazdowski <sgniazdowski@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> OK, however, the sourcables-backend to zsh-newuser-install is IMO
> needed first. Then the install function could offer to append:
>
> zsh-pm pick=nodups.zsh param='size -> 10000' @history
>
> to the zshrc.

You've responded to me saying 'instead of providing fine control over the
profile set-up it could simply give them some good defaults' with 'OK, but
first we need to add more complexity in order to provide finer control over
the profile set-up'

Also, your example command is about 20 characters longer, and significantly
harder to read or to transfer into a broader understanding of how the shell
configuration works, than just setting it the normal way. How would this
address the difficulty me and Roman described re: not understanding the
implications of the wizard?

dana