Re: The request of words matter updated

On 9/27/22 04:44, Peter Stephenson wrote:

On 27/09/2022 05:22 Bart Schaefer <schaefer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Mon, Sep 26, 2022 at 8:18 PM Lawrence Velázquez <larryv@xxxxxxx> wrote:

Illumos uses "manager" and "subsidiary"
AIX uses "controller" and "worker"

Well, that's no fun.  It means there's no "term of art" we can adopt.
On the other hand, I guess, it means we don't have to worry about
confusing future programmers, because they'll already be confused.

My only comment is that if we pick something unique and do the job
properly this time, then any further update to fit in with standards
is a 30 second automatic replacement.  So I don't think it's worth
agonising over.

In this particular context I'd probably choose something like
superior/inferior ... neither subsidiary nor worker really fits what
that half of the PTY pair is doing, IMO.  They sound like words chosen
for a global search-and-replace over a codebase nobody was willing to
actually read.

So e.g. zsuperior and zinferior would give us that ability (but you may
well be right superior and inferior are good enough --- replacing
master and slave didn't hit any clashes).

pws

Indifference to the change in general

1) wasn't aware of the their existence until this thread.
   which did seem weird, like some automated search happened to find them.

2) not even zpty's documentation in zshmodules(1) refers to the existing terms.

3) as pointed out by Lawrence, the terms aren't even consistency used among operating systems
   so the feigned confusion of these internal variables already exists.

4) It's not similar to changing the default branch in zsh's vcs repo or
   changing listmaster@xxxxxxx, faqmaster@xxxxxxx in any way. if the change happens
   within a week it will be forgotten again, if even noticed.
   zpty isn't commonly used from what i can tell, i imagine people looking at its source code
   are even fewer.