RE: Re: Is there any desire to support languages other than English in zsh?

On Thu, 8 Jun 2023 11:26:56 +0100 (BST), Peter Stephenson <p.w.stephenson@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Your efforts in this direction would certainly be hugely appreciated by
> the developers, thank you.  (I take it you're already on zsh-workers?)

That would seem to imply you speak for everyone. Is this true?

(Me's contributed only 1 patch and thus me'll decline to be considered
 as one of "the developers" <g>.)

>> >     This is definitely not something we would want to dive into until
>> >     after whatever the next zsh release is, is done.
>>=20
>> I don't think its especially helpful to put off any particular efforts
>> on that basis.

Depends on how invasive it'll be in practice, me'd say. Certainly a
sample patch would help...

> I would tend to agree that as long as Agron is providing framework support
> it can continue.  Branches are cheap if we decide we need them.  A roll
> out of the feature is another matter entirely, but that's a very long
> way off at this point.

The question is still if we can support these efforts long-term, even if
Agron becomes unable to, or plainly loses interest.

> It might even be useful to be able to check that our configure-time checks
> are working with all the distributions --- if they're not this time then th=
> ere's
> no impact on users, so no panic^H^H^H^H^Hcarefully thought out update.

Yup.

But overall: me'd strongly suggest that me earlier objections &
observations be considered more carefully before comitting to the
proposed venture.

We certainly should not dive for this too eagerly.

        --zeurkous.

--
Friggin' Machines!