Re: Phil's prompt is not working when LANG is set to UTF-8

On Mon, Feb 11, 2008 at 03:52:00PM +0000, Peter Stephenson <pws@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Mon, 11 Feb 2008 16:07:09 +0100
> antho.charles@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
> > I didn't have this problem on Debian etch, but it appears when I
> > upgraded to lenny. It's the same problem: if I set LANG to a non utf8
> > encoding (fr_FR instead of fr_FR.UTF-8), RPROMPT is good, otherwise
> > it's partially on another line and the cusor is after RPROMPT.
> > (cf. http://tinyurl.com/3xjeqt)

> Sounds like it ought to be fairly reproducible, but it's not happening on
> Fedora 8 (and it still sounds suspiciously like the shell is getting duff
> information about the environment, though that's certainly not the only
> possibility).  I've tried adding multibyte characters to the command line
> and complicating the RPROMPT and even adding multibyte characters to that,
> but it still works OK.

> Are there any particular things on the command line, forms of RPROMPT etc.
> etc. that show this up?  (We really need something that narrows this down.)

I haven't wrote this PROMPT I simply found it on google[1], it's an
exact copy of it though I have disabled APM/IBAM support beause
sometimes ACPI hangs on this computer and so all my shells hang.

Anyway I'll try it on Fedora and see how it goes, If I had the same
result then it's probably something in my environment, in that case
could you please try it with my whole environment?? Just add a new
user (test user) and do the following:

$ cd ~
$ svn co svn://wael.nasreddine.com/wael/trunk/co-base .

This should check out my basic configurations, everything related to
the shells/environment...

Then create all the symlinks..

$ ~/bin/svnfix

This would put all files where they should have been..

Now you could test with my environment and this way we can narrow it
down to System/Environment problems...

[1]: http://aperiodic.net/phil/prompt/

--
Wael Nasreddine
http://wael.nasreddine.com

.: An infinite number of monkeys typing into GNU emacs,
   would never make a good program. (L. Torvalds 1995) :.