Zsh Mailing List Archive
Messages sorted by:
Re: idea for new feature (was: Re: sticky-note and zle bindings)
- X-seq: zsh-users 12905
- From: "Benjamin R. Haskell" <zsh@xxxxxxxxxx>
- To: Zsh Users <zsh-users@xxxxxxxxxx>
- Subject: Re: idea for new feature (was: Re: sticky-note and zle bindings)
- Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2008 20:26:18 -0400 (EDT)
- In-reply-to: <2d460de70806101702t40eb23f0n566aee04131f8119@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
- Mailing-list: contact zsh-users-help@xxxxxxxxxx; run by ezmlm
- References: <080125095733.ZM20873@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> <1B47D24854C7BC4FA8DA28BEBB59B0BA02E64EAC@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> <2d460de70801260729q34fb7ed8o11446e63a320b2ad@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> <13ed09c00801251018l1007ac9an9c453651d5695c46@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> <080125181227.ZM21172@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> <2d460de70801260741q16e4f197he2307be6e4f81c82@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> <080126153143.ZM6173@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> <20080128163340.GA18831@xxxxxxxxx> <13ed09c00806062139g6e0e81eaxb350eaca45698a94@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> <alpine.LNX.1.10.0806100002360.11378@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> <2d460de70806101702t40eb23f0n566aee04131f8119@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
On Wed, 11 Jun 2008, Richard Hartmann wrote:
On Tue, Jun 10, 2008 at 06:13, Benjamin R. Haskell <zsh@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I couldn't find the original thread (more than two months ago?), so I'm
not sure what I'm suggesting below covers everything.
It started on Jan 16th with an email by Andy Spiegl.
Thanks. I didn't even notice the bottom quote from your previous email
until I just reread it, but "Jan 16th" got me there.
Have you tried 'screen'?
Screen is somewhat similar, but tackles the problem on a different
level. This is something new which can act as an alternative, in some
I don't see the advantage or difference yet (except the "on a different
level" part -- the 'screen' way makes more sense to me at this point).
Perusing the previous thread made me wonder: Is there a solution for the
problem of needing co-operation from, say, the X Window manager? Or have
you settled on being able to pass in a dead/killed shell's UUID/GUID?
(Is there an alternate interface to the online mailing list archive, btw?
I hate all the clicking around -- I'd rather download an .mbox file and
use it in Alpine.)
On another, I have the command-line mercurial daemon and two
command-line trac daemons running in screen sessions. If I SSH in and
reattach, it's as if I never left.
Not quite true, as sometimes, when detached uncleanly, screen will stop
listening to STDOUT & STDERR of the programs that run within it which
makes some programs unhappy. irssi would be an example. This takes us a
tad too far from the topic at hand, though.
Huh. Never had that happen to me. Good to know.
But, won't this also be a problem with whatever mechanism you're
envisioning? Or is this beyond the scope of what you'd want your "thing"
to do (re-attaching already-running programs)?
Messages sorted by: