Re: utf-8

On 12/18/2014 06:45 PM, Bart Schaefer wrote:
Did you read the entirety of my last message or did you stop after the
first two sentences?  There's more below the part of your message that
I quoted.
Yes. But where I loose the scent is in thinking about, specifically, Cyrillic.
Cyrillic does not have a 'real' 'n' character.  They have two 'backwards'
capital ens that are vowels, and the sound 'en' is represented by 'our' 'H'.
So, since their keyboard would be devoted to their own alphabet (better than
ours, BTW), where would the 'n' character be so as to type '\n' ... there *is* no 'n' character! Would they use '\H' ('H' being the Cyrillic letter representing the sound 'en'?
Re-read the last paragraph of my previous message, please.  In UTF-8 the
code points are based on the visual representation of the character; in
multi-byte Unicode there are multiple similar characters based on the
source language and semantics, but the ASCII subset is always the same
code points as is ASCII, including "control characters" like newline.
What would constitute the 'visual representation of the char'? And ASCII may
maintain a consistency, but if my KB is Cyrillic, where does that leave me?
Would their 'H' produce ASCII #78 (which is is as close as you can get to Latin 'N'? Cyrillic has more letters, so how would one begin to ASCII Cyrillic? Nope,
that can't be the way.  But I'm sure the Russians can print newlines somehow
and I can't believe they have an 'n' sitting there for just that purpose. Do they enter the needed value in hex? Or does zsh not worry about it, and the Russians
have to bind a key? If so, then yes, it's off topic.

Sorry for being stupid, but I really don't get it.