Re: Interrupting globs (Re: Something rotten in tar completion)

On Sat, Dec 6, 2014 at 1:52 AM, Mikael Magnusson <mikachu@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 6, 2014 at 1:36 AM, Mikael Magnusson <mikachu@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> On Fri, Dec 5, 2014 at 11:07 PM, Peter Stephenson
>>>
>>> Here's my first go; it does seem to do what I want, and as a by-product
>>> fixes all the little race conditions we've always had that meant you
>>> couldn't interrupt chunks of code that were executed in any kind of
>>> sandbox because the condition got reset afterwards.  I think a few of
>>> these have been annoying me over the years.
>>>
>>> The general strategy is to use the bit ERRFLAG_ERROR for internal
>>> failures and ERRFLAG_INT for user interrupts.  There are only two
>>> cases of the latter: on an untrapped SIGINT, the obvious case, and also
>>> on a trapped SIGINT or SIGQUIT where we've been told to behave as if the
>>> trap didn't trap the error condition.  That's straightforward for
>>> SIGINT, less so for SIGQUIT but I took my cue from the fact that Bart
>>> thought it worthwhile trapping SIGQUIT as an interactive "no, I really
>>> mean abort" in completion, which implies that if we trap it we want it
>>> to work at least as well as SIGINT.
>>>
>>> Correspondingly, most of the time only the ERRFLAG_ERROR bit gets
>>> reset.  ERRFLAG_INT gets reset only in the following cases:
>>>
>>> - in the main command loop.  This is what causes the shell not to exit but
>>> instead go back to the main command loop when you ^C a command.
>>>
>>> - at the start of zleread, so we can read the next thing to do whatever
>>> just happened.  I'm not sure this is particularly useful since
>>> in this case you'd typically expect the previous condition to have
>>> occurred and it could mean e.g. you ignore an interrupt that
>>> occurred just before a "vared".
>>>
>>> - when we just finished completion.  This is needed so that the cases
>>> that got this whole business kicked off behave as now (but more
>>> reliably) --- a ^C gets you back to the command line, but the command
>>> line is not trashed as it would be if you ^Ced outside completion (try
>>> it if you're confused).  There's a race here, but it's no worse than it
>>> ever was.
>>>
>>> To ensure ERRFLAG_INT doesn't get reset unnecessarily there are a number
>>> of cases where restoring errflag to a previously saved value keeps the
>>> ERRFLAG_INT bit if it got set in the meanwhile.  I hope the rationale
>>> here is obvious --- the ERRFLAG_ERROR is an internal state that needs
>>> resetting, the ERRFLAG_INT an asynchronous condition where the user
>>> doesn't care what the internal state is.
>>>
>>> By the way, looking at the patch below you might wonder if it wouldn't
>>> be more efficient to add a separate flag for interrupt error conditions
>>> to test.  It wouldn't --- there are many more cases where errflag is
>>> tested than when it is set, not affected by the patch below.
>>>
>>> I suspect we'll just have to try this out and see how it works.
>>
>> This seems to work well for me in the cases you talked about, but I
>> quickly noticed one surprising problem. I have some stuff in my
>> chpwd() hook to show git branches and stuff, and these used to be
> [...]

Another difference: the menu completion listing could previously be
aborted with ctrl-c and keep the command line. It now closes the
listing and aborts the command line. Additionally, with menu
selection, you could previously ctrl-c out of selection and get to the
menu, ctrl-c that again, and still have the command line. Now you just
go straight from selection to a new empty command line.

--
Mikael Magnusson