Re: bindkey -v and alt-. for previous cmd arg

On Sun, 7 Nov 2004 22:53:00 +1100 Nick Croft <nicko@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> * Matthias B. (msbREMOVE-THIS@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:
> >
> > No, that's not how it works. It's just that in some terminals (the
> > Linux console for example, at least with some keymaps) Alt-. produces
> > ESC-. But this is by no means standard. In my Xterm, when I press
> > Alt-. I get the (R) registered trademark sign
>
> I found that the usual zsh behaviour of alt-. could be had in any other
> terminal but xterm, or on the console.
>
> I downgraded to xterm 4.1.0 (from 4.3.0), and the problem is fixed.
>
> I've filed a bug report in the (debian) system, under xterm.

I don't think this is a bug. That the older xterm has the desired
behaviour is probably just that it has a different default value for the
resource "eightBitInput". Just put

XTerm.VT100.eightBitInput: false

into your ~/.Xresources file (assuming that Debian is set up to use this)
and you'll get the ESC-behaviour rather than the (R).
If you want to know more, do

man xterm

Never file bug reports without having read the manpage.

MSB

--
When you order sausage in Germany, prepare for the wurst!