Re: ANSI bg colour outside of prompt area

On 02/23/2015 08:36 AM, Bart Schaefer wrote:
For what it's worth, the way I deal with keeping track of builds and
hosts is to include the host name and part of the version string in
the prompt, and color each of those differently.  The background and
foreground stay the same because I have them adjusted for maximum
readability.

I have this in preexec():

echo $ZSH_PATCHLEVEL

BTW, there seems to be a bit of fuzz in the term 'background' color. Sometimes it seems to mean just the color behind any typed text, other times it refers to the background of the whole screen. Are there more unambiguous terms?