Re: Can zsh `else` reserved keyword command be aliased and the lexem itself be repurposed as `fi` keyword command?

Hi.

mathieu stumpf guntz wrote:
> Le 30/12/2017 à 02:07, Bart Schaefer a écrit :
[...]
>> Not-so-incidentally, the fact that zsh does NOT do this is one of the
>> primary reasons that zsh exists at all.  Paul Falstad found it
>> distasteful that csh DOES that, and set out to create a shell that had
>> the interactive advantages of csh while preserving the separation of
>> parse and execution as found in sh and ksh.
>
> I was, of course, completely unaware of that. I would be interested with more
> technical details if you could provide me some links.

There's a fairly well known explanation of this, which can be found if
you look for "CSH Programming Considered Harmful". It's archived in
multiple places, for example here:

  http://harmful.cat-v.org/software/csh

It discusses a lot of csh deficiencies, its ad-hoc parser being one of
them.

Regards, Frank
                                                  -- RFC 1925