Re: Best practices for managing aliases in ohmyzsh?

That's all I ever do.  They're scripts, so you source them.  I'm
unfamiliar with bash, but just off hand, I'm wondering what else *but*
source them would even be possible.   Except for the automatically
called files of course which will automatically be sourced if they
exist.

My understanding is that if you use the autoload feature, the functions are only loaded on an as-needed basis. That's not something I really need but I figured it may come in handy as I write a bunch of new functions. Plus I was just curious about to see how it worked for future reference.

Personally I just hate all the automatic stuff, you have files being
accessed that you might not even know exist.  Fine for the adept of
course, but when I was learning zsh I killed all of them just so I
could be sure of what was going on.

For me, part of the fun (and frustration) is figuring out what these more advanced systems can do. On the other hand, it's definitely nice to know exactly how exactly how a simpler setup works so you aren't trying to reverse-engineer mysterious behavior.

So what is the "real" .zszhrc supposed to be?
The docs are pretty readable as to the startup protocols, but at the
very least '.zshrc' should be in your home directory.  God knows what
oh-my-zsh does.  Never used it, but around here the feeling one gets
is that it's not the fashion -- reputation is that it's too much
desert and not enough dinner if you get me.  My own philosophy is to
keep things a simple as possible.  I end up saying 'oh my!' enough as
it is ;-)

OK, good to know. Wasn't sure if I was out to lunch. And I just reread the ohmzsh install instructions and it says to place .zshrc in the home directory so it sounds likes I'm good.

Thanks!