Re: Best practices for managing aliases in ohmyzsh?

On 2021-08-31 8:27 p.m., Lawrence Velázquez wrote:

If you want to go a little deeper than Bart's summary, here's some
light bedtime reading.

https://homepages.cwi.nl/~aeb/std/hashexclam-1.html
"The first group, /arg0/, consists of one argument. For SysVR4, SunOS, Solaris, IRIX, BSDI, BSD-OS, OpenBSD, DU, Unixware, Linux 2.4, FreeBSD this argument is |/path/interpreter|. For Tru64 (4.0), AIX (4.3, 5.1), Linux 2.2, MacOS X this argument is |interpreter|. For HP-UX this argument is |/scriptpath/script|."

... I am in awe of the mind of the person who compiles this sort of information.

https://www.in-ulm.de/~mascheck/various/shebang/
"On many other flavours, the maximum length varies between _POSIX_PATH_MAX (255) and PATH_MAX (f.i. 1024); see |limits.h| or |syslimits.h| on the respective system.Exceptions are BIG-IP4.2 (BSD/OS4.1) with 4096 and FreeBSD since 6.0 (PAGE_SIZE) with 4096 or 8192 depending on the architecture.Minix also uses the limit of |PATH_MAX| characters (255 here) but the actual limit is 257 characters,because |patch_stack()| in |src/mm/exec.c| first skips the "|#!|" with an |lseek()| and then reads in the rest. "

... Good to know!

If a function is declared (yes I know, wrong word but you get my
meaning) then the function enters memory, otherwise it's
interpret-and-forget until next time, no?
I don't really know what you mean here.
When we source a function it's there in memory for next time, no? Otherwise a script is freshly read each time it is sourced.  I"m pretty sure about this.

It's trivial to confirm that this is not the case.

Indeed, I'm now aware of the difference but  I sure don't understand it.  I had no idea there was any such issue.