Re: zsh function breaks after error

> From: Ray Andrews <rayandrews@xxxxxxxxxxx>
> On 2022-02-10 09:20, Thomas Lauer wrote:
> >
> > (there are so many
> > options there that I have no idea when or even why I did include this).
> >
> When I first got involved I learned to turn absolutely everything
> 'config' off except for my one and only .zshrc file so that I'd at least
> know where to look if things went strange.  Then I picked a sample
> .zshrc on faith off the internet and slowly by trial and error figured
> out what half of it does.  The other half is still a mystery, mostly the
> 'complete completer completion completing' stuff -- and I get the
> feeling no one really understands it fully anyway. Like  with everything
> else, the docs assume you are already an expert.  But a beginner's guide
> to configuration would have sure been nice.  I bitched about this a
> little bit: the setup utility should offer you several config options
> complete with a brief description of what each one offers.  Mind, I was
> coming from DOS whereas most zsh converts are already shell experts, so
> my culture shock was much worse than for most.

Well... I tend to know what I am doing and I think (or thought) that all
the options in my .zshrc are there for a reason. I literally went
through the options documentation one by one over a few days, looked
into each option and (tried to understand and) decide whether it was a
Good (tm) thing or not. For most options this worked pretty well, but
there were a few which were then over my head (probably some still are).

But I agree that the density of the documentation can be a problem,
especially for people who are no developers and are perhaps not used to
dense docs :-)

I'm a Windows refugee as well but over there I've used a command
processor called Take Command (the former 4NT) for decades and so I was
already used to a powerful and complex beast of a shell.

And yes, the completion still is mostly a mystery but with judicious use
of Google, Stackexchange, Reddit etc etc and a lot of trial and error I
have cobbled together something that works pretty much as I want.
Actually it was the completion that convinced me to drop bash and start
using zsh.

But if there ever was a case of YMMV *and* RTFM then zsh must be it:-)

Tom