Re: coloring substitution seems to eat next line.

On Fri, Nov 11, 2022 at 10:50 AM Ray Andrews <rayandrews@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 2022-11-11 10:15, Bart Schaefer wrote:
> > Why wouldn't you do this as soon as they began exhibiting behavior you
> > found mysterious?
> Because I'd never seen anything like that before and I had no idea where
> to even begin looking for an answer.  God knows how many tools are out
> there that I've never even heard of.

I find this response baffling.  Roman wrote "local MATCH ..." so
obviously it's a zsh thing.  Even if it might be another tool, at
least try checking the zsh manual first?

https://zsh.sourceforge.io/Doc/Release/zsh_6.html#index_split-5_vr_letter-M

> > You mean like maybe the six indexes at the bottom of the page here?
> > https://zsh.sourceforge.io/Doc/
> >
> Not really.  Again you'd have to know ahead of time what  you're
> looking for.

Isn't that also true of a glossary?

I mean, go back to the mention of how you've never heard of $foo:t
before.  Well, gosh, look up "colon" in the concept index:

https://zsh.sourceforge.io/Doc/Release/Concept-Index.html#Concept-Index-1_cp_letter-C

Takes you right here:

https://zsh.sourceforge.io/Doc/Release/Expansion.html#index-colon-modifiers

Now you know it's called a "modifier" so when you see $foo:A you know
where to look.

Or you could look up "substitution"

https://zsh.sourceforge.io/Doc/Release/zsh_4.html#index_split-3_cp_letter-S

where you find that for parameters it's usually called "expansion" and
expansion has flags and oh by the way there's even a set of expansion
"rules" that will tell you all about the procedure zsh follows to
perform one.

Or you could just scan through the concept index to get an idea of
what terminology you're likely to encounter on this list, without
having to read the whole manual.