Re: zsh 5.0.5-dev-2 / Occassional hangs on Test/A05execution.ztst

Hi again,

some more gathered thoughts and experiments around this issue:

On Thu, Aug 14, 2014 at 06:31:25PM +0200, Axel Beckert wrote:
> So far I wasn't able to reproduce the error in a setup where I can
> debug it yet. I've run the testsuite successfully about 70 times each
> for the dynamically linked zsh as well as the statically linked zsh on
> kfreebsd-amd64.

One thing I noticed in the failed build logs: Exactly before
terminating the hanging test suite there is the following message:

Unable to change MONITOR option

Full context:

../../Test/A05execution.ztst: starting.
Unable to change MONITOR option
This test takes 5 seconds to fail...
E: Caught signal ‘Terminated’: terminating immediately
make[1]: *** [test] Terminated
make[2]: *** [check] Terminated
Makefile:264: recipe for target 'test' failed
debian/rules:48: recipe for target 'build-arch' failed
Makefile:188: recipe for target 'check' failed
make: *** [build-arch] Terminated
Build killed with signal TERM after 150 minutes of inactivity

Full log:

https://buildd.debian.org/status/fetch.php?pkg=zsh&arch=kfreebsd-amd64&ver=5.0.5-dev-2-1&stamp=1407936338

Then again this works well despite producing the above message, even many
times in a row:

% ssh localhost "cd `pwd`;./ztst.zsh A05execution.ztst"
A05execution.ztst: starting.
Unable to change MONITOR option
This test takes 5 seconds to fail...
A05execution.ztst: all tests successful.
%

Even inside the kfreebsd-amd64 chroot where I installed the freshly
and sucessfully (locally) built zsh 5.0.5-dev-2 package, I couldn't
reproduce it in a shell not being connected to a terminal.

I also thought, I remember having seen that before on zsh builds on
Debian GNU/Hurd I completely disabled the test-suite there. But at
least https://buildd.debian.org/status/fetch.php?pkg=zsh&arch=hurd-i386&ver=5.0.5-1&stamp=1389022672,
https://buildd.debian.org/status/fetch.php?pkg=zsh&arch=hurd-i386&ver=5.0.4-1&stamp=1387664312
and https://buildd.debian.org/status/fetch.php?pkg=zsh&arch=hurd-i386&ver=5.0.3-1&stamp=1387092681
hung in Test/V08zpty.ztst and had no such message about the MONITOR
option.

So it's probably not (directly) related to not running on a connected
terminal.

(And JFTR: There were no build failures on kfreebsd-amd64 since 2009
with 4.3.10 and later until this week:
https://buildd.debian.org/status/logs.php?pkg=zsh&arch=kfreebsd-amd64
:-)

> I'm now back to trying to reproduce it on that (linux amd64) machine
> were I initially run into it a single time. With some luck, I may be
> able to trigger it and then debug it.

For that I ran the same kind of build where I ran into it locally
once, but modified so that the test suite runs 100 times in a row
instead of only once. No hangs either, though. :-(

		Kind regards, Axel
\ /  Say No to HTML in E-Mail and News            | abe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx  (Mail)
 X   See http://www.nonhtmlmail.org/campaign.html | abe@xxxxxxxxx (Mail+Jabber)
/ \  I love long mails: http://email.is-not-s.ms/ | http://noone.org/abe/ (Web)