Re: reverse-menu-complete re-starting completion on 5.2?

On Wed, Mar 9, 2016 at 11:45 PM, Bart Schaefer
<schaefer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Mar 9, 12:41pm, Mikael Magnusson wrote:
> } Subject: Re: reverse-menu-complete re-starting completion on 5.2?
> }
> } On Wed, Mar 9, 2016 at 12:12 PM, Mikael Magnusson <mikachu@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> } > On Mon, Mar 7, 2016 at 3:05 AM, Mikael Magnusson <mikachu@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> } >> On Sun, Mar 6, 2016 at 6:41 PM, Bart Schaefer <schaefer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> } >>> On Feb 29,  1:45am, Oliver Kiddle wrote:
> } >>> }
> } >>> } [...] I'm really not sure why we need to be so
> } >>> } strict about the completion widget matching the last completion widget.
> } >>>
> } >>> The only reason I can think of is in case menu completion is invoked from
> } >>> within a user-defined widget, or otherwise entered by a different widget
> } >>>
> } >>> Maybe we'd need another flag action for "zle -f" to continue/interrupt
>
> Turns out "zle auto-suffix-retain" already serves this purpose.
>
> This is tricky because widgets created with "zle -C" start directly in
> completion context, which means that "zle" generates an error; i.e., if
> we naively stick this into _generic:
>
>     _generic:zle:1: widgets can only be called when ZLE is active
>
> (The error should probably be more specific, since a completion widget is
> merely the wrong *kind* of widget.)
>
> The solution is to make a normal widget for auto-suffix-retain, then invoke
> the completion widget with "zle the-widget -w".  This seems a bit more work
> than should be necessary, but see example below.
>
> } >> I can tell you I quite often complete a directory name using normal
> } >> completion, and then press ctrl-n to complete files inside by latest
> } >> modification date.
> }
> } zstyle ':completion:most-recent-file:*' match-original both
> } zstyle ':completion:most-recent-file:*' file-sort modification
> } zstyle ':completion:most-recent-file:*' file-patterns '*:all\ files'
> } zstyle ':completion:most-recent-file:*' hidden all
> } zstyle ':completion:most-recent-file:*' completer _files
> } zle -C most-recent-file menu-complete _generic
> }
> } bindkey "^N"      most-recent-file
>
> Just as-is, this works as you desire if the initial directory completion
> is not ambiguous, but cycles if there are multiple possible matches in
> the current menu.
>
> } I would like ^N after TAB to start completion over (even if this was
> } originally a ^N completion), but TAB after ^N to continue the same
> } completion.
>
> The following uses the normal-widget-calls-completion trick.  There may
> be a better name for it.
>
> -- 8< --
> # Replaces bindkey in the above, otherwise all the same
>
> complete-most-recent-file () {
>   [[ $LASTWIDGET != $WIDGET ]] && zle auto-suffix-retain
>   zle most-recent-file -w
> }
> [...]

I did it like this,

## Helper function for most-*-file
function _complete_separately() {
  [[ $LASTWIDGET != $WIDGET ]] && zle auto-suffix-retain
  zle ${WIDGET#complete-} -w
}
zle -N complete-most-recent-file _complete_separately
zle -N complete-most-accessed-file _complete_separately

Using accept-search instead of auto-suffix-retain also works, but it
eats up the first press without doing anything for some reason (only
if a menu is active).

I don't think anyone else is likely to figure this out by themselves though :).

--
Mikael Magnusson