Re: Official plugin manager?

On Sat, Jan 4, 2020 at 5:28 PM Daniel Shahaf <d.s@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Roman Perepelitsa wrote on Sat, 04 Jan 2020 15:46 +00:00:
> >     zle -N zle-line-init my-zle-line-init
> >
> > This works. Until we source a plugin after setting up bindings and the
> > plugin happens to hook zle-line-init without calling our hook. This
> > time it's the plugin breaking our code rather than vise versa.
>
> That plugin is broken.

Before crossing a road on green light, I first check if there are cars
speeding through the intersection. It's illegal for them to do so, but
I'd rather turn my head than die being right.

I don't know of a downside to key translation I mentioned earlier, so
I'm not even paying the price of turning my head when I use it (or
maybe I do and just don't know it?). If I were using terminfo to fetch
the escape codes for home and end keys, I would still have to hardcode
escape codes for other keys or key combinations as terminfo is rather
sparse in this regard, and I would still have to handle NumLock the
same way I do now. Am I missing something?

> Well, yes and no.  You're right that new users shouldn't be overwhelmed
> with complexity right off the bat, but that doesn't mean we can't have
> any complexity at all;

I think we are on the same page here.

Roman.