Re: The request of words matter updated

On 9/28/2022 1:14 AM, Felipe Contreras wrote:
On Tue, Sep 27, 2022 at 4:00 PM Daniel Shahaf <d.s@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
-1 on the patch because I don't believe people who disagree with the
change feel comfortable saying so publicly.
Agreed. I am one of the few people comfortable with disagreeing to
such changes publicly:

https://felipec.wordpress.com/2020/11/13/git-master/

Plenty of people have sent me private words of encouragement stating
this master/slave terminology change is nonsense, but they don't dare
to say so publicly.

Just because the silent majority is silent doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

Because they're silent, there is no way to tell if they are a majority.  Personally, I think the silence comes from the fact 90-95% of people just don't care.

These words cause some people pain.  You may think the source of that pain is silly, but it doesn't make the pain any less real. (Ask anyone who's been clinically depressed about feeling pain other people tell you you shouldn't feel)

It's a small change that alleviates pain.  That should be reason enough to do it.