Re: The request of words matter updated

On 9/28/22 12:34, Peter Stephenson wrote:

> I'm guessing that of those who favour a change there are no major
> feelings in favour of any of the various alternative ways of saying "upper"
> and "lower"?
>
> Once that's established, perhaps someone could arrange for an online vote
> at one of the websites that do that?  Given no technical change results
> from any of this, opinion is all we've got, and there's evidently no
> sign of a consensus.

Do you need consensus on this change? I mean, if someone provided a
patch that changes master/slave to something else that makes sense
because they want to stay clear of those words, would it not be
accepted? The change is essentially a refactor and should pass all the
tests..

I'm not in favor of the change because there is not a technical reason
to solve. It is purely a policital (correctness) change. I don't see how
the change of master/slave in code is changing actual systematic racism
around the world or how it confronts former colonizing countries with
their often brutal past. The change itself should have minimal to no
impact on the code itself and should not present any problems to the
outside world.

All that said, I think IBM should be the driver of the change as it
doesn't comply with their "Words matter" policy. They just threw a stick
in a bee hive and now are watching the bees go crazy. If they want it
fixed, they should provide the patches to fix *their* political issue.
Unless someone within the zsh project really agrees with their view ofc.

Those are my 2 cents on this topic.

Cheers,
Wesley

--