RE: Re: On the "Words Matter" issue (was Re: The request of words matter updated; quotes deleted)

On Sat, 8 Oct 2022 14:09:11 -0400, Eric Cook <llua@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 10/8/22 1:55 PM, Eric Cook wrote:
>> On 10/8/22 4:41 AM, Felipe Contreras wrote:
>>> The problem is that **not a single** black person has claimed to have
>>> a problem with the term "master". Have they?
>>
>>> Has anyone proposing the change brought forward a black person who
>>> finds the term personally offensive?
>>
>> Within the context that master _and_ slave is used, i do.
>>

> These two variables could be named anything,

In theory, yes, of course. In practice, things are often named a certain
way for a reason. Whether that reason is good or not has apparently
become subject of debate, for this instance.

> you and zeurkous whining abou=
> t it is getting
> incredibly annoying;

Perspective. People whining about technical terms "causing them pain" is
pretty annoying to me, provided said terms are descriptive.

> way more so than any argument put forth in how this w=
> ould negatively
> affect zsh thus far.

Me's put forward such arguments. Why don't you respond to them?

(Me might be a whining bastard, but me can do more than just whine.)

> renaming the master branch is user affecting so i would prefer to keep it,=
>  changing listmaster@
> faqmaster@ is user affecting and would require more effort on our part so =
> i would keep them.

There are no corresponding 'slave' parts in those cases, though, are
there...?

> if i would to push the change i doubt either of you two would notice.

Then push it. If it sufficiently annoys you, you should push it.

Me's just worried about setting a potential precedent. That's all.

        --zeurkous.

--
Friggin' Machines!