RE: Re: The request of words matter updated

On Sat, 8 Oct 2022 20:14:27 +0200, Martijn Dekker <martijn@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Op 04-10-22 om 07:29 schreef Daniel Shahaf:
>> As producingoss explains, voting is going to leave half the participants
>> unhappy.  Let's instead try and find a solution we can consense on.
>
> Since there is no consensus or precedent, I propose changing "slave" to
> "minion" and keeping "master", which is the less problematic of the two
> (e.g., as far as I know, no one is objecting to the default master
> branch on millions of git repos, or to the master recordings of music
> productions).

How about "mook"?

Yet, not necessarily opposed. Is this a compromise we can all live w/:
replace "slave" but not "master"...?

> This would minimise potential confusion while replacing the emotive,
> historically charged word

Until "minion" becomes an emotive, historically charged word, too.

(Not to shoot it down, but there is that risk...)

> by a reference to Despicable Me, which would
> inject some much needed light-heartedness into this debate.

Light-headedness more like :S (But that's off-topic...)

        --zeurkous.

--
Friggin' Machines!