Re: On the "Words Matter" issue (was Re: The request of words matter updated; quotes deleted)

On Sat, Oct 8, 2022 at 10:55 AM Eric Cook <llua@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> Within the context that master _and_ slave is used, i do.

This is the point (which I tried to make in my "thoughts" message):
The term of offense is not "master" by itself, but that's the word
that all arguments against making a change have latched onto.  A
secondary point is that its hypocritical to claim both that this
should be an apolitical technical decision and also to assert that
it's only a valid issue if certain recognizable segments of the user
base are those expressing an opinion.

There is no use of "slave" I can find that does not imply being
unwillingly bound or restricted.  Playacting at same does not
constitute an exception.  That a particular use does not refer to
human trafficking does not remove the implication or the analogy.

Changing unrelated uses of "master" is not even up for debate here.

However, what should be considered is the ten or so other and more
visible (because they're in shell scripts) uses of "slave".  As far as
I'm concerned, that's the only reason this discussion hasn't already
been called by fiat (as in, by PWS pushing the patch he's already
proposed, or something very much like it).