Re: [BUG] With --disable-dynamic-nss, not all functions calls are protected

Hi Roman,

On Fri, Sep 17, 2021 at 03:55:43PM +0200, Roman Perepelitsa wrote:
> > Yay, this patch works for me! zsh-static built on Debian Unstable
> > (glibc 2.32) no more segfaults when copied to and executed on Debian
> > 11 Bullseye (glibc 2.31) for me.
>
> If your goal is to create a binary that runs on any Linux x64 box
> regardless of libc runtimes that may or may not be available on it,
> link against musl libc.

Thanks for that idea, but the main goal for now was to make zsh-static
survive glibc upgrades in Debian (Unstable first and foremost).

> Static linking against glibc is a lost cause.

Not the first time I've read that, yes.

> Zsh can link against musl libc out of the box. This is how I build
> mine.

I've just checked: At least bash-static, busybox-static and sash
(static by default as that's its purpose) are built against glibc in
Debian, so I'll probably stay with glibc for now in Debian's
zsh-static package.

Nevertheless thanks for that hint. Will keep it in mind in case we run
into more severe glibc issues with static builds in the future.

		Kind regards, Axel
--
PGP: 2FF9CD59612616B5      /~\  Plain Text Ribbon Campaign, http://arc.pasp.de/
Mail: abe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx  \ /  Say No to HTML in E-Mail and Usenet