Re: zsh 5.0.5-dev-2 / Occassional hangs on Test/A05execution.ztst

Hi,

On Thu, Aug 14, 2014 at 09:50:53PM -0700, Bart Schaefer wrote:
> On Aug 14,  7:34pm, Axel Beckert wrote:
> }
> } One thing I noticed in the failed build logs: Exactly before
> } terminating the hanging test suite there is the following message:
> }
> } Unable to change MONITOR option
>
> Yes, that's coming from the third-to-last test in the file:
>
>   { setopt MONITOR } 2>/dev/null
>   [[ -o MONITOR ]] || print -u $ZTST_fd 'Unable to change MONITOR option'
>
> Where as the "5 seconds" message is from the very last test:
>
>   { unsetopt MONITOR } 2>/dev/null
>   coproc { read -Et 5 || kill -INT $$ }
>   print -u $ZTST_fd 'This test takes 5 seconds to fail...'
>
> So two tests have succeeded between the "Unable" message and the one
> that hangs.  The inability to change MONITOR is a side-effect of no
> controlling terminal, so the test warns you.

Thanks for the explanations!

> Actually the warning could be stronger than that, because the
> inability to setpt MONITOR renders the test invalid

So instead of or in addition to the warning, can we skip this test in
case of no controlling terminal? Because the situation where it
currently shows up reproducibly (on the build daemons), it's always
without controlling terminal.

(The one case where it seems to hang for me with a controlling
terminal, I wonder if I was just not patient enough. I think I waited
for at least 20 to 30 seconds before pressing Ctrl-C, but I'm no more
sure.)

> (it will always succeed, even in the case we are trying to regress).

Well, it at least hangs under some yet to be determined conditions. So
skipping the test if it doesn't do anything useful seems a step
forward for me. :-)

		Kind regards, Axel
\ /  Say No to HTML in E-Mail and News            | abe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx  (Mail)
 X   See http://www.nonhtmlmail.org/campaign.html | abe@xxxxxxxxx (Mail+Jabber)