Re: Can't tell the difference in operation between PATH_SCRIPT and NO_PATH_SCRIPT

On 2024-01-26 10:38, Roman Perepelitsa wrote:
I respectfully disagree. In my experience, Unix man pages, in
particular zsh documentation, are excellent resources, effectively
tailored to their intended audience. I'm part of that demographic and
find them incredibly useful.
They are indispencible in the same way that the blueprints of a nuclear power station are indicpencible and if you are already an expert you may find them even friendly.  But if you aren't an expert the docs are cold help becoming one.  It's like trying to learn Hungarian by reading a Hungarian grammar written in Hungarian from one Hungarian grammarian to another.
 Difficulty in understanding content, like
cooking recipes in my case, often stems from it not being designed for
our specific knowledge base. This doesn't diminish the quality of the
content itself.

Quality is not in question, rather presumed reader and specific goals.  Again, if you are already an expert the manual is your reference to recall some detail or other and it could hardly be better.  But if you want to *understand* the shell, best to read Peter's book or some other resource.  The manual stores information but explains nothing.  It is also written in shell jargon which if fine if you already speak shell jargon.