Re: code completition / cannot delete characters

Bart Schaefer <schaefer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> On Mar 11,  1:44pm, Micah Cowan wrote:
> }
> } Bart Schaefer wrote:
> } > The use of "export PS1" is sensible in the old Bourne shell and in a
> } > strictly POSIX shell, because there is no file that is read by every
> } > interactive shell (only ~/.profile read by login shells).
> }
> } I can't speak to the original Bourne shell, but a strictly POSIX shell
> } still has "export ENV=~/.shrc" as an option, which would seem preferable.
>
> I may be mistaken, but doesn't ENV work the way ~/.zshenv does, that is,
> it is read by *every* shell, interactive or not?
>
> That's still not equivalent to ~/.zshrc or ~/.bashrc.

SUSv3:
[snip]
ENV   This variable, when and only when an interactive shell is
      invoked, shall be subjected to parameter expansion (see
      Parameter Expansion) by the shell, and the resulting value
      shall be used as a pathname of a file containing shell
      commands to execute in the current environment. The file
      need not be executable. If the expanded value of ENV is not
      an absolute pathname, the results are unspecified. ENV shall
      be ignored if the real and effective user IDs or real and
      effective group IDs of the process are different.
[snap]

Regards, Frank

                                                  -- RFC 1925