Re: Can't tell the difference in operation between PATH_SCRIPT and NO_PATH_SCRIPT

On 2024-01-26 11:52, Steve Dondley wrote:
On most systems,, a user’s zsh configuration files are kept in their $HOME directory by default. If you wish to store these modules in a different location, this can be modified by setting the value of the ZDOTDIR parameter to a directory path of your choosing. For example, if you wish your user to follow the XDG specification, you might set the value to $HOME/.config/zsh. Typically, this value is set in the /some/config/file configuration file but consult your OS’s manual for details.

This is a much gentler way of introducing this variable to me.

You and I have essentially identical ideas about how it should read.  Even if the manual is to be a manual, not a 'zsh for dummies', the language could be much more helpful.  But it's as long as the Bible, and who's going to spend a year giving it a workover?

But my main point is that it feels like the documentation makes the
assumption you know how a typical shell works and that you are
familiar with the many common features between the different kinds
of shells.
Yes, it does, and so it must.

Your observation is correct. All documentation, including zsh's, must
assume some level of prior knowledge. When our understanding doesn't
meet this level, it can be challenging and frustrating, but we can
bridge this gap through other resources. On the other hand, if the
documentation were too basic, covering familiar ground, it would be
inefficient for advanced users, leaving them to sift through redundant
information.

Yup, so there's the dilemma.  But even then, as Steve's little example above shows, within the culture of a manual (not a help resource) things could be better.  If it were up to me I'd paste Steve's little edit above into the manual -- subject to a close look by the experts of course.  The devs have admitted a few changes, but much more could be done IMHO.  Things don't have to be terse and obscure.